Subject: Re: FS#10199: Limiter DSP function

Re: FS#10199: Limiter DSP function

From: Jeff Goode <jeffg7_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 01:44:05 -0400

Jeff Goode wrote:
> The latest version of my limiter DSP was just posted this afternoon.
> Its purpose is to amplify the signal by a user selectable amount, then
> smoothly reduce gain for those samples that clip as a result. This
> allows listening to dynamic material in noisy environments that could
> drown out quieter passages, sort of a smart volume control.
>
> This version is ready to commit, at least to see if it's going to
> break on some targets, those with small amounts of IRAM for instance.
> It may be the case that it should be disabled on some targets. I've
> been running it on my Sansa E280 for a few weeks and it works well
> there. I've streamlined the code so that when the process isn't
> active, it doesn't affect normal operation. Unlike earlier versions,
> as long as it isn't active, it's completely transparent to normal
> operation.
>
> Please apply the patch to your favorite player and try it out for a
> bit. I'd like the feedback and blessing of the dev group before
> committing something this large.
Nobody appears to have an opinion one way or the other regarding this
patch, so I plan to commit it tomorrow (Monday) and see how it behaves
during the build. We're going to see a red delta for bin size and RAM
(bloat o meter reports about 7000 bytes) but that can't be helped. And
it may not link on some targets due to the use of IRAM attribute tags.
There's only one way to find out.

Jeff