Subject: Re: FS#10199: Limiter DSP function

Re: FS#10199: Limiter DSP function

From: Al Le <al.le_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 08:48:34 +0200

On 17.08.2009 07:44, Jeff Goode wrote:
> Jeff Goode wrote:
>> The latest version of my limiter DSP was just posted this afternoon.
>> Its purpose is to amplify the signal by a user selectable amount, then
>> smoothly reduce gain for those samples that clip as a result. This
>> allows listening to dynamic material in noisy environments that could
>> drown out quieter passages, sort of a smart volume control.
>> [. . .]
> Nobody appears to have an opinion one way or the other regarding this
> patch

Jeff, I read the patch description and tried to understand what it does
but couldn't fully do it. (Disclaimer: I'm not a sound processing
expert.) And I'm sorry for not having replied earlier.

What I understood from reading the description is that it would have an
effect as if you manually change the volume so that silent parts of the
recording are loud but loud parts of it don't blow your ears. Is it a
correct description? Of course, this volume adjustment is made
automatically. What scenarios is this thought for? Because this would
distort the song. Is it for text only "songs"?

And how would you need to set the volume manually (before you start the
playback)? I see two possibilities:

1. set it so that the silent parts are at desired volume, and the loud
parts are made more quiet

2. Set it so that loud parts are at desired volume, and the silent parts
are automatically made louder.