Subject: Re: FS#10199: Limiter DSP function

Re: FS#10199: Limiter DSP function

From: Jeff Goode <jeffg7_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:24:16 -0400

Paul Louden wrote:

>> Nobody appears to have an opinion one way or the other regarding this
>> patch, so I plan to commit it tomorrow (Monday) and see how it
>> behaves during the build. We're going to see a red delta for bin
>> size and RAM (bloat o meter reports about 7000 bytes)
>
> Is this really worth 7k? It's not even full dynamic range compression,
> is it? Is this the absolute best way the problem this addresses can be
> solved?
Absolute best? I can't claim that. But it does effectively solve the
problem. I didn't try for a full blown DRC function simply because I
don't know how. Instead we end up with a smart volume control.

>> but that can't be helped. And it may not link on some targets due to
>> the use of IRAM attribute tags. There's only one way to find out.
> Wouldn't that way be "test compile it for targets where IRAM might be
> a problem before trying to have it committed?" The whole red/green
> build thing is for when you miss something, not really so much for
> when you already know there's likely to be a problem, and just want to
> find out where.

I don't know which targets are likely to fail. And the fact is that I
can't go compiling for each of a few dozen targets. I just don't have
the time for that. Do you have suggestions?