Subject: Re: Supported vs. unsupported builds

Re: Supported vs. unsupported builds

From: Antony Stone <Antony.Stone_at_rockbox.open.source.it>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:15:06 +0100

On Thursday 03 September 2009 09:03, Rob Purchase wrote:

> On 03/09/2009 06:11, Karl Kurbjun wrote:
> > I would add the M:Robe 500 in there as well; it is actually quite
> > usable, the touchscreen support still needs work, but that applies for
> > any touchscreen target.
>
> Ditto for the D2 - recently it's become very usable and stable for music
> playback, so long as you are aware of the caveats (basic touchscreen
> support and the need for an SD card to save settings).
>
> It seems daft for us not to support it in some way, especially since I'm
> effectively doing this already with the community of D2 Rockbox users
> over at iAudiophile. This has grown primarily due to the Rockbox forums
> prohibiting discussion of "New" Ports except for development work in the
> appropriate thread.
>
> Unfortunately this has had the effect of keeping D2 discussion away from
> most Rockbox devs, and has left us with a lack of interested and capable
> developers - especially frustrating given that it's a popular and *still
> available* DAP.

In my opinion any target device which is currently available should be
promoted, and development effort to finish off the remaining tasks, as much
as possible.

Many people ask here (and, no doubt, on the forums and IRC as well) what
devices are currently available in shops which can run Rockbox, and since the
answer to that is sadly very very few (tending towards zero as time passes),
and therefore I think work on any device in this category should be actively
encouraged rather than sidelined and discouraged.

Regards,

Antony.

--
We all get the same amount of time - twenty-four hours per day.
How you use it is up to you.