Subject: Re: Recording PCM format

Re: Recording PCM format

From: Michael Sevakis <>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 15:58:51 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Johnston" <>
To: "Rockbox development" <>
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:17 AM
Subject: Recording PCM format

> So I guess my question is, can I reliably expect the recording on all
> devices with the capability to provide an interleaved signed 16-bit
> data stream? If not, are there any defines anywhere that will tell me
> the format for the current platform? If not, shouldn't there be?
> Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
> -David

You can expect that. They're all the same 16-bit signed and interleaved PCM
format at this time. Samplerate is the only option for audio data itself
which does have defines for the platform. It shouldn't be assumed playback
and recording rates match perfectly. It shouldn't be assumed full-duplex is
available. It shouldn't be assumed that if duplex is available that record
and playback will match when looping (Austria Microsystems cases).

I hope that clears up any questions.