Subject: RE: Supported vs. unsupported builds

RE: Supported vs. unsupported builds

From: Mike Giacomelli <giac2000_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 11:23:56 -0700

> The AMS sansas are definitely in the unstable group, as the samsung YH*
> (at least the 925, maybe 920 (now with sound) and 820 too) and Gigabeat
> S. Depending on what the main port developers say I'd even count cowon
> d2 and ondas into it (although I've only have a third person view on
> those and can't tell anything about the stability, I'm just hearing good
> stuff about them :) ).
>
> For me, unstable really only means stable music playback and a mostly
> reliable storage driver("mostly reliable" means to me: It may crash or
> panic or not work at all, but it shouldn't corrupt the data).
>
> For what's it worth, I'd even go for supporting the AMS sansas dispite
> of the microsd issues (it doesn't actually corrupt data, does it?). If
> anyone feels greatly uncomfortable with it, I can understand that. But
> I'd even tend to support them without microsd support for now (and keep
> the testing builds with microsd around).
>

> So my list would be e200v2, fuze, beast and yh925.

I took a look through the wiki, and the YH players seem to have no install directions at all. IMO this disqualifies them from being considered unstable. Additionally, while the Gigabeat S has install directions (several of them actually) they look incomplete and probably out of date. And theres several different versions of them on the wiki. This should also be fixed before they're considered unstable.

The Phillips players also look like they might be considered unstable, but have no install directions that I could see as well.

IMO that means that the first batch of unstable players should be the Fuze and e200v2, followed by the others once they have clear and easily understood install directions and bootloaders posted somewhere (site or forums). The D2 also has nice install directions, so that may be a good candidate as well (but I don't have one and cannot speak to the usability of the port).