Subject: Re: building accessible vmware images to work with rockbox.

Re: building accessible vmware images to work with rockbox.

From: Hilton Shumway <hillshum_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:16:39 -0600

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:25 AM, alex wallis
<alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have been in touch with him and talked to him about rockbox as at the
> moment, for blind users the only option if we want to compile rockbox
> without help is to use cygwin or to switch to a propper linux environment. I
> would prefer to run a vmware image as then I can continue working in windows
> while stuff to do with rockbox is going on in the background.

VMWare is also much faster

> So hear are my questions,
> if he assists me, what packages would he need to put into a distribution

What do you mean by 'distribution'? VMWare image?

> in
> order for me to compile rockbox? is it just the ones for cygwin, as in if he
> just puts in the packages that are listed for selection when you set up a
> cygwin environment would that be ok?
> if he follows the list given on the rockbox site I mean, are there
> particular versions he would need to put into a distribution.

You'll need subversion and the Debian package build-essential (or
equivalent) to build the crosscompiler for Rockbox. To build manuals
you'll need the latex or whatever it is packages, and for sims you'll
need the sdl-dev packages. No need for a GUI unless the accessibility
stuff mandates it.

Hilton

A selected quote: Claims of humanitarian concerns are merely a fig
leaf over a naked power grab by the state -- Maria Martins

Charles de Gaulle - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_de_gaulle.html