Subject: RE: building accessible vmware images to work with Rockbox.

RE: building accessible vmware images to work with Rockbox.

From: Hussein Patwa <rockbox_at_patwanet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 18:47:26 +0100

> The guy I talked to seemed interested in assisting me with creating an
> accessible vmware image to compile rockbox, and also to turn my
> computer
> into a build server.
>
> He has suggested the best approach is to create an image from scratch,
> rather than trying to make the current vmware images accessible.

I assume what you are thinking of doing is having a VMware image of a
Linux-based operating system configured with some kind of access technology,
be it ORCA or similar. Then you would load that image, and use the access
software to compile Rockbox, possibly using a semi-automated process by
means of a script rather than entering commands manually. The script could
be configured to provide options which, when selected by the user, perform
different actions. This would of course significantly reduce the end-users
requirement to know much about the commands themselves. Is that along the
lines of what you're thinking? If so, count me in as being interested.
I've really been getting into VMware lately, so will be happy to offer any
advice or test anything that you need or wish.

> Last question, if he creates me accessible vmware images that can be
> used
> for compiling rockbox or running a build client, would there be any
> interest
> in hosting them so that other people could take advantage of them if
> they
> wanted to get rid of cygwin?

For hosting, I don't know whether this would be acceptable but I have web
space of my own (600GB+ at the moment) hosted on commercial servers which
are backed up daily. I'd be happy to host your images or associated files
if you wish.

database 4476 (20091002) __________

http://www.eset.com