Subject: RE: building accessible vmware images to work with Rockbox.

RE: building accessible vmware images to work with Rockbox.

From: Hussein Patwa <rockbox_at_patwanet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 01:17:27 +0100

> Hi. I realise this is going slightly off topic, but just as a side note
> regarding your issue with not having a good vmware image to work with,
> have
> you tried vinux?
> the author of it is the guy who is interested in helping me. vinux is
> designed to be accessible out of the box, it includes braille support,
> speech and magnification. the author provides several versions, a live
> cd
> version, a USB pen drive version and a vmware image.
> I am hoping to meet with him next week to actually talk about how to
> put
> this accessible vmware image or images together for rockbox.
> if you are interested, the url for vinux is
> http://vinux.org.uk
>
> I am not sure what packages should be included to get a build client
> accessible, which is what interests me, and then of course I would like
> some
> kind of separate system to compile rockbox with for my own personal
> use.
>
> I am not sure if I was thinking of a script exactly to automate the
> process,
> I guess having some kind of gui would be quite nice as its more fun
> pressing
> buttons and selecting options than typing commands though I have a
> feeling
> it might be complex to put something together so perhaps command line
> is
> best. I guess also the commands should be quite similar to those used
> in
> cygwin.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your recommendation for an accessible Linux distribution. I'll
look into it when I have more time, possibly towards the end of October.

For documentation on setting up the Rockbox-related packages and
dependencies:
I believe documents must be available either on the Rockbox site or in the
mail archives, as there have been posts on here before about build clients,
indicating that there are others that have set up systems other than the
centrally-hosted ones.

For the interface:
I would say a command line one would be best, as having a GUI just leads to
potentially more accessibility issues which is going backwards in my
opinion. A command based system could start simple and grow more complex as
needs dictate. And yes, keeping it as similar to cygwin as possible is
good, as this improves cross-platform usability.

Incidentally, who is the person you are meeting with if that's not too
personal a question? Feel free to contact me off-list if you like. I may
be interested in joining any multi-person effort project as this is the sort
of thing that would interest me.

database 4478 (20091003) __________

http://www.eset.com