Subject: Re: questions about latest Rockbox

Re: questions about latest Rockbox

From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:07:24 +1100

On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 02:18:13AM +0100, Hussein Patwa wrote:
> > 1. Why was time removed from rockbox info?
> > 2. Is the only way to see the time with voice now just in the time>set
> > time menu?
>
> This is an interesting one. Because, if it was moved and it's possible to
> visually see the time somewhere else, this would mean that that area may not
> be accessible with voice. I can't see this myself visually but maybe it was
> built into the WPS?

It's always been possible from my knowledge, or for quite some time to
visually see the time, however, this doesn't relate to voice. I have
discovered that entering the time menu and holding select will voice
time/date. This is ok, but I've got a better idea in my opinion. Well
Stephane Doyon was the one who came up with the initial idea, by
readjusting the quickscreen completely, so I think if we modify that
slightly and when select is pressed from the current quickscreen then
the time is spoken, otherwise if select is held then the battery level
is spoken. Developers, would this sort of thing be welcomed? I might
have a go at doing something like this when I get time, but I remember
Stephane's version and it was quite nice, but it must be out of sync by
now as it was quite a while ago.

Just a thought.

> > 3. Why was the time menu moved under system on the main menu?
>
> Just a guess but if you consider that the whole setting of the time function
> is a fairly system-critical function, as so many things may depend on it.

Um, well yes and no, but settings>general settings>system was fine
wasn't it? I wouldn't say it is more important than a lot of settings.

> Another analogy is having the security alarm setting for your house built
> into your stereo effects system on your Hi-Fi.

I don't understand

> Some of the rationale behind this may be in the SVN commit notes and you may
> be able to pull them up as a complete batch of all comments since a
> particular revision date but I'm not sure if this is possible or what the
> commands are. Alternatively, there's a link on the homepage which allows

Perhaps

> you to get commits for the last 12 months. I'm not sure of the date of your
> build though so it may be older than this. No doubt someone will come along

It's not really relevant to my build version. And I've now updated to the
latest code. And sifting through all the svn notes is a very time
consuming process something which I haven't got time for unfortunately.

Dan