Subject: Re: questions about latest Rockbox

Re: questions about latest Rockbox

From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 08:14:22 +1100

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 06:35:50AM -0500, Paul Louden wrote:
> > And why can't the button used to leave the
> >quickscreen be used to voice time then it can imediately exit?
> Some people use voice, and this shouldn't alter their ability to use
> the quick screen. The quick screen is for quick changing of
> settings, and waiting for a voice to speak would slow this down.

Valid point

> > If this
> >is such a big problem remembering nothing will change if voice is
> >disabled, we could make a long press (BUTTON_REPEAT), say time and
> >BUTTON_REL (a tap), could leave the screen?
> This would make more sense, though it would make more sense if the
> long-press were a function actually related to the quick screen. As
> the screen doesn't even display the time itself, having a button
> combo to announce it there doesn't make much sense from a usability
> standpoint for sighted users, and just adding voiced things to

Hm, considering the user can visually see the time from the wps it's
kinda pointless visually displaying the time when button_select is held
to voice it isn't it? But if you still think it's necessary, how about a
long press of select can voice the time if voice is enabled, and always
can show the time on screen for say 2 seconds? (Is that a good
compromize). Then of course after that button had been pressed, the
screen should exit. I still think it would be nice finding a way for
quick access to battery level info.

Daniel.