Subject: Re: questions about latest Rockbox

Re: questions about latest Rockbox

From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 08:06:09 +1100

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 03:22:26PM +0100, pondlife wrote:
> > Yes, interesting idea although it's no longer a really fast way to check
> > the time.
>
> Oh - but it is. For sighted users, the status bar is the fast way that
> time, battery level (and volume and playback state) is checked. Rather than

Sure, for the sighted, but sometimes voice needs to be done differently
so it is just or almost as efficient to access this information.

> have two seperate methods for sighted and non-sighted use, I'd propose a
> voice UI for it so we have a single model. A screen reader, if you will...

It's interesting you say that. I know linux command line doesn't do
this, but that is because to get the time is a matter of typing a
command which is very efficient. But if you look at orca or jaws, both
graphical screenreaders, they both have a built in hotkey to voice time
and date. They don't force the user to tab around to the different
pannels to find the clock, that would just take far too long.

Dan.