Subject: Re: Custom button mappings - a proposal

Re: Custom button mappings - a proposal

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:05:04 -0500

Frank Gevaerts wrote:
> b. switch hold on while holding a specific button (similar to above, but
> hold itself stays usable)
I think this one is the most cross-target usable of the options (since I
*think* it could be workable even on ones where hold is a hardware
function).

> I'm undecided whether the custom button map should be the same for all
> screens, or should be customisable per screen.

There's two ways I think this could be done. The first would be a
"simple" way. You can assign one button to another button.

For example, you can say "make the Mode button do what the Select button
normally does." This then affects all screens, but allows a simple and
quick rearranging of the keymap. Very not idea, but much easier to use,
and guaranteed to give you a "complete" keymap with the exception of
button combinations. You could possibly allow long-presses to be split
up from short presses.

The other more complex would be to expose a list of all core contexts to
the user (and describe what screens they're for in the manual) the allow
keys to be assigned functions within each individual context (presenting
a list of functions tailored to each context) as well as a "Global"
context which would have a much more limited list of functions that can
be assigned to keys for use in any screen (for example, next/prev track,
play/pause/stop, volume, backlight toggle might make up this whole list
of possible global functions).

> All standard controls will be disabled by the custom map, including
> touchscreen. They can of course be re-enabled in the map itself.

If the touchscreen is in "grid" mode, it should present the nine buttons
for configuration. In absolute mode, it should be more configurable
anyway by way of the theme, so doesn't need to be disabled (in my opinion).