Subject: Re: Custom button mappings - a proposal

Re: Custom button mappings - a proposal

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 22:38:59 +0200

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 03:31:58PM -0500, Paul Louden wrote:
> Frank Gevaerts wrote:
>>
>> I'd still like to give the option to really have no traces left of the
>> original. This would allow e.g. using only physical buttons on a
>> touchscreen target, which otherwise is not possible.
>>
> Many touchscreen targets simply don't have enough buttons for this, so
> there needs to be a way to allow the absolute touchscreen UI to pass
> through.

Oh, indeed. I forgot to mention that. I think one of the options per
screen should be "use standard absolute touchscreen mapping"

> As long as grid mode still exists, if the player's in it the user could
> simply leave all 9 grid buttons unassigned and the touchscreen would, in
> effect, be "dead" and it would require purely button-based controls.
> This would basically allow your desire to be an option without ruling
> out (or making more difficult) the alternatives either.

Ah, good point. If the custom map can switch to grid mode (I don't see
why not...) this would indeed be a good way to do this. There's the
practical detail of the backlight as well, but I'm sure we'll be able to
think of a way to handle that.

Frank