Subject: Re: the UI viewport logic.. someone please help my understanding?

Re: the UI viewport logic.. someone please help my understanding?

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:20:35 +0100

Jonathan Gordon schrieb:
> 2009/10/28 Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>:
>
>> fullscreen (maybe renamed) should do what it does now, IMO. I fail to see
>> the point of having a function that respects the classic sb but not the
>> custom sb. Where would the be useful? You surely want to either be
>> ultimately fullscreen (0,0,LCD_WIDTH,LCD_HEIGHT), or let background drawings
>> happen.
>>

> my entire argument is based on the fact that classic statusbar is
> DEAD! even if you load the classic_statusbar.sbs file, it still will
> act as a sbs.
> viewport manager (or whatver) needs a function which returns the
> entire display, and one which returns the area not being used by the
> sbs.

That's exactly what I said actually, considering that a dead classic
statusbar yields the "ultimately fullscreen (0,0,LCD_WIDTH,LCD_HEIGHT)"
case.

>>> It should only fix that to calling fullscreen() when a %wd tag is found.
>>>
>>> Now, how does set_defaults() know that its being called by a skin or
>>> by the lists? it doesnt, and shouldnt... it should be returning the
>>> same viewport for both, i.e the one from the setting. therefor makeing
>>> %Vi redundant and unused.
>>>

>> That's what set_defaults() does. Yet I'm skeptical about calling it from the
>> WPS. The WPS should really be as fullscreen as possible (i.e. so that it
>> just doesn't draw over the sbs/classic statusbar) since it doesn't draw any
>> list and the UI vp doesn't make any sense due to the customizability. That's
>> what _set_fullscreen() achieves.
>>

> You need to remember something very important about wps'... the
> default viewport is really only used when no other viewports are
> specified, or the themer is lazy. ignoring the 2nd one (because
> technically cabbiev2 falls in here), the wps needs to work with the
> theme... if it uses the default viewport, and that is set to the ui
> area left over by the sbs, then even if it wants to draw outside of
> that area it is free to do so. The lists however are restrcited to
> being inside the area.

Exactly! "and that is set to the ui area left over by the sbs" is
entirely what %Vi is about. The lists are just as well inside the area
(as you said). Unless overridden by the UI vp which the equivalent of
"then even if it wants to draw outside of that area it is free to do so"
for the lists.

I'm not exactly sure why we seem completely agree here. Did I misread
something?