Subject: Re: Touchscreen Interface

Re: Touchscreen Interface

From: Rob Purchase <rob.purchase_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 20:46:35 +0000

On 08/11/2009 18:23, Paul Louden wrote:
> Alex Parker wrote:
>> From a purely user point of view, grid mode should stay. However,
>> absolute mode should be extended to all screens (where it makes
>> sense), and absolute mode should be the default. Note I make no
>> comment on the code aspects. :)
> I think that if absolute mode is made the default, there needs to be a
> way to force entry to grid mode blindly. The problem with absolute
> mode is that if you are using the player blindly, you can't even use
> descriptions of the menus to find your way easily to grid mode.

Before the Touchscreen Mode menu entry was added, there was a low-level
hack in the button driver which allowed the user to switch modes using a
button combo. This was removed as it was a hack done at the firmware/
level, and therefore couldn't affect the global setting.

If we are concerned about touchscreen accessibilty (I don't think we
should be, but I'm only one voice), then maybe this should be
re-introduced as a proper button action. Although, if I'm not mistaken
there's no "global" keymap context, so this could be tricky to
implement. If implemented, it should also be accompanied by a voiced splash.

If there's a key combo to change touchscreen mode, it's another reason
to have an indication of the current mode in the status bar - does the
customizable status bar make that possible already?

Rob.