Subject: Crossfade options

Crossfade options

From: Jeff Goode <jeffg7_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:08:33 -0500

I've been doing a fair amount of work in playback and pcmbuf in the last
couple of weeks and that led inevitably to crossfade. *sigh* It's
cleaned up some now and the decision tree where the determination is
made whether or not to crossfade is much improved. This leads to the
question of what we want crossfade to do exactly. Going from a forum
suggestion and at my own initiative I added a new enable option: Auto
Track Skip Only, which only crossfades at the end of a track, but
manually skips immediately without crossfade. Man Track Skip Only and
Always (and Off) are straightforward enough, but what about Shuffle and
Shuffle and Man Track Skip (ex: Shuffle and Track Skip)? What behavior
should these exhibit?

Currently Shuffle behaves like Always If Shuffle, meaning that if the
Shuffle feature is on, it always crossfades. The Shuffle and Man Track
Skip only crossfades when both Shuffle is on *and* the track is manually
skipped. Auto track skips are gapless. Maybe Shuffle ought to
crossfade only for auto skips, but man skips are immediate? And what
exactly is Shuffle and Man Track Skip for? Is it needed or wanted?

Ironically, I don't use crossfade so I don't know what the desired
behavior might be. There are a lot of possible options that haven't
been addressed yet, so feel free to dream. Putting in new options and
tweaking behavior in the decision tree is trivial.

Jeff
-Blue Dude-