Subject: Re: Crossfade options

Re: Crossfade options

From: pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:43:13 -0000

> Looking at the original crossfade logic, it would act as you describe
> using Shuffle and Manual Skip, but the manual seemed to describe it
> differently. So I used the AND logic when rewriting the decision tree.
> I'll fix it back to an OR decision and rewrite the manual to make it clear
> what's going on. Maybe the option ought to be "Shuffle Or Manual Skip",
> which seems closer to me what's going on.

I agree.

> The idea here is to crossfade for all track end situations, radio station
> style, but if you want to skip a song, it happens right away without
> crossfading. "This song sucks... NEXT!"

Heh - I'd happily use "Always" in that case (I'd personally prefer to avoid
the sudden jump when using radio-style playback), but it hardly hurts to
keep the option in.

> Speaking of manual skips, I noticed that crossfaded manual skips are
> handled precisely the same way as track-end crossfades. That is, the
> fadeout happens *at the end* of the currently buffered material, which is
> then mixed with the faded in new track. This means that even after the
> skip button is pressed it can be a couple of seconds before the crossfade
> start sample is marked and the fade out delay begins to count down. I
> propose that the fadeout delay counter should begin immediately for
> crossfaded manual skips. I don't foresee any objections to this, but I
> thought I'd ask.

That would be a great improvement, and explains the apparent current lack of
responsiveness in this case.

> I'm still torn on the "Auto Track Skip" verbiage. I tried to make it
> clear what it is in the manual, but it's not very descriptive. Even
> something like "Natural Track Change" doesn't quite nail it. "Track End
> Only" maybe?

I thnk I like "Automatic track change" best.

Steve Bavin