Subject: Re: Useability concerns

Re: Useability concerns

From: Alex Parker <parker.alex.e_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:44:25 +0100

On Saturday 21 November 2009 22:27:41 Sam Pattuzzi wrote:
> I think my end goal would be for Rockbox to come pre installed on
> devices and for it to be usable without a manual. I believe it's
> possible for even complex software to be usable without a manual,
> complex features of the software can be explored and discovered as a
> user wishes but they don't get in the way until a user is looking for
> them or is interested.

Your end goal? What about the developers? Whilst I'm sure everyone would
love to see usability improved, not at the extent of losing options. How
about you give some suggestions as to how this is achieved at this point? If
you have any good suggestions, I'm sure people would love to hear them.

> On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 15:05 -0600, Paul Louden wrote:
> > I don't understand. Is the expectation that the user doesn't know
> > they're holding down a button?
>
> They might not realise that holding it down is going to produce a
> distinct action to the short press. It could be quite confusing for the
> user to suddenly find the system reacting in a different way to what
> they expect without knowing they had interacted with it differently.
> Maybe if the context menu was labelled as the long press menu it might
> make sense.

I don't want any sort of visual indication to tell me what I know I'm doing -
it'd slow down navigation, get in the way, and be annoying.

> > If it's not too hard to guess most of them, what's the problem?
>
> It's still hard enough with a few irregularity (see playlists).

You really need to bring some concrete examples to this discussion.