Subject: final statusbar warning and minor rant

final statusbar warning and minor rant

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 20:41:17 -0800

A month ago I wrote an email explaining that the current inbuilt
statusbar was on the way out (Admittedly, it looks like it didnt get
through to -dev, only the users.. but anyway)... Since then just about
any talk involving me in the IRC channels has been about this.

On October 27 I committed the first go at skinning the inbuilt bar. It
was never my intention to do a pixel perfect copy of the inbuilt bar,
and the reason it went in so early was so other people could try it
out and modify it to get it as close as they want... Since then I have
done emails to this list, and forum threads and IRC nagging about my
plans to kill the inbuilt bar, and to get people testing the patch
(FS#10709) and have had exactly no help.

So you can imagine how annoyed I am that yesterday there is complaints
about it not being pixel perfect (from speculation seen as that person
hadn't even tried it yet!) and accusations of me not caring about even
trying to keep all the current features.

So this is my final warning on the matter.... the current inbuilt bar
is dead.. it causes problems, and generally sucks compared to what can
be done with skins. I will hopefully be commiting the patch this week,
which means if you really rely on the inbuilt bar (and its piddly
animations :/ ) then either don't update when it happens, or help with
the conversion effort.... Its well past the point of complaining.

That said, pixelma has been the only person to step forward and say
anything about helping improve the .sbs, so thanks to her, I'll also
consider postponing the commit to get some time for that to happen..
but not much. We are coming up to the "coming up to freeze time" time,
and there are at least a few sbs related bugs which will be fixed up
once this patch is in... so...

Jonathan