Subject: Re: I suggest we postpone release 14 days

Re: I suggest we postpone release 14 days

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:16:16 -0800

2009/12/14 Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>:
> 2009/12/9 Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>:
> Stepping into the lions den here a bit...
>
> Right now we are sitting on 299 open bugs and 451 patches which is
> getting disturbingly high (I think I remember being at about 200 bugs
> last release.) I'm still in favour of releasing around the 23rd but
> I'd like to get some discussion on how much we care about
> bugs/patches, and what the big issues in SVN are that prompted the
> delay.
> I know the whole OSS attitude is "find an itch and scratch it" but
> personally I wouldn't mind some direction to try cutting that bug
> count down.
>
> Of those 299 bugs, 115 are over a year old, and very probably
> invalid/out of date or fixed. It's a worse story with the patches
> (with many open but out right refused to add to out dated/invalid).
>
> So here is my request.
>
> If you have a couple of minutes spare, head over to the tracker and
> see about closing old bugs, try to repro bugs and close if you cant,
> chat on IRC about bugs, and above all, set the "Due in Version" to
> "next release" and/or set the priority to high if you think its a show
> stopper bug for the release. (If you want to help but don't have
> access rights on the tracker then come on IRC or reply to the weekly
> tracker email)
>

> Jonathan

I had 2 intentions with this email. 1 was to try getting some flyspray
cleanup happening which I think is very slowly starting....

The other was to get some discussion on how bad things are looking for
the release. One of the reaosns for postponing was becuase we thought
that the current code isnt up to scratch, but to my knowledge there
has been no talk about what needs fixing and what bugs we are happy to
sit on the tracker.

Anyone want to comment?
Jonathan