Subject: Re: themes, skins, backdrops and RAM usage... (i.e sure to be controversial)

Re: themes, skins, backdrops and RAM usage... (i.e sure to be controversial)

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:36:24 +0100

Am 21.12.2009 20:36, schrieb Jonathan Gordon:
> Here is the current themeing situation:
> a "theme" consists of one or more of the following items:
> - a WPS (which can load a backdrop)
> - a statusbar (SBS or inbuilt)
> - a ui viewport setting
> - a backdrop setting
> - fore/background colours
> - selected line colour/gradient
> - an icon set
> - font
>
> And at the very least, will include (eventually) a skin for the fm
> screen and the recording screen (both of which shuold be able to load
> a backdrop).
>
> Now, there are a few bugs with all this, for example, if you change
> the back/fore ground colours manually they will take no effect because
> the ui viewport has already been loaded or outright ignores the
> setting.
> What I really want to do is get rid of the colour, ui viewport and
> backdrop settings and have them loaded from the sbs. I argued from the
> very beginning that once the sbs was in the ui viewport setting was
> totally redundant, as are the colour and backdrop settings.

Stop acting as if everyone was using the new possibilities. Those
setttings are still valid. Rockbox can be perfectly used without sbs or
ui viewport at all. Those are additional features, not requirements.
Also, you can put a "-" in the viewport definitions for the colors in
which case the global settings are used.

A theme generator might be a replacement, but I doubt it's worth it
(i.e. I think it makes things more complicated than easier).

I like the other idea about the setting for the theme buffer and the
idea that backdrops are moved into the skins, generally. But I fear that
means that you couldn't have a backdrop without sbs?

Best regards.