Subject: Improve the usability of the text editor

Improve the usability of the text editor

From: Johannes <>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 22:12:37 +0100

I'd like to start a discussion about the text editor.

In my opinion the text editor isn't really usable, because the font is
so tiny, that you have to search for each letter.

The text_editor's control should be similar to the calculator:
- use the whole screen (no tiny font)
- support for touchscreen (raster map)
- separate characters into categories

You can navigate faster, if the letters, numbers and additional
characters are separated. Particularly on touchscreens the improvement
is enormous. The problem is that it's impossible to write it also for
targets without LCD bitmap.

Besides you can't support others alphabets. But I think it doesn't make
sense to support Hebrew or Arabic alphabet, because they are written
from right to left, so you can't really write it. In conclusion the text
editor is completely unsuitable for those alphabets. I suggest to
support just Latin alphabet and special character, because it makes
things easier and it is the most widely used alphabetic writing system.