Subject: Re: Improve the usability of the text editor

Re: Improve the usability of the text editor

From: Johannes <>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:54:48 +0100

On 22.12.2009 22:50, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> Assuming you mean the virtual keyboard and not the text editor plugin..
> I know it allows users to load their own keyboard file, does it force
> the system font so only ASCII can actually be used?
Yes, I mentioned this is the negative aspect of my concept
> The vkeyboard is plenty usable on some targets (h300) and downright
> painful on others (almost any with a wheel).
> I would certainuly welcome a redesign, but you need to remember it
> needs to work on targets with small screens, with wheels instead of 4
> direction buttons, with low button counts, with RTL languages and all
> supported codepages.
I opened a new task in the tracker.(FS#10872) I adjust the calculator
plugin to show my concept.
I test it in the simulator and it also works on small screens. Even
quite better than the calculator, because aspect ratio is included.

On 22.12.2009 23:58, Dominik Riebeling wrote:
> Then we could remote RTL support completely ... or support for
> languages that use non-latin characters, right?
Unfortunately my concept excludes RTL completely.
> Something I'm missing for the virtual keyboard:
> - display the entry line multi-lined if enough space is around.
> Entering / changing long paths is quite painful if you can only see a
> small fraction. Happens especially on small screens ...
> - Display multiple input character "pages" below each other if there
> is enough space. On several targets there's more than half of the
> screen unused, and instead of switching between pages with input
> characters they can be put above each other. Capital and small letters
> are the ones I'd like to have there almost every time I use the
> virtual keyboard -- on my mini I have to switch pages which is
> somewhat annoying.
I would rather use the unused space to display the characters in bigger