Subject: Re: Improve the usability of the text editor

Re: Improve the usability of the text editor

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 11:58:41 -0600

Johannes wrote:
> Because the current text editor editor is unusable on some targets.
Are there bugs where it cannot be used at all, or are you simply using
"unusable" to mean "difficult to use"?

> - If you alter the font, the characters will got mixed up.
Then choose a layout compatible with the font size you pick. This will
always be a problem unless the virtual keyboard limits itself to the
system font.

> - It doesn't support touchscreens. In my opinion the current concept
> isn't designed to support touchscreens.
So why is the solution to this "break support for other languages"
rather than simply "improve support for touchscreens"? Couldn't the
existing concept be improved to support touchscreens without breaking
things?

> If you consider cellphones or MP3 player with touchscreens, you'll
> notice that almost the whole screen is used for the virtual keypad and
> the characters are separated into categories.
Why can't this be done with loadable layouts exactly?