Subject: themes, sbs, and... backdrops!?

themes, sbs, and... backdrops!?

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:50:01 -0800

I was working on the internal sbs/ui viewport mess last night and I've
come across a problem.

In svn sbs'es cant load backdrops so the backdrop setting is used just
about always (Except in plugins and when the wps loads a backdrop).
once we unfreeze thats going to be changed so the sbs can load its own
backdrop.
This causes a few possible inconsistencies which I want to get sorted out.

1) If the sbs doesnt specify a backdrop the setting will be used.
2) If the sbs does specify one and none is set in the settings there
is no problem either.
3) what do we do when both the sbs and the setting specify (different)
backdrops?
4) in svn there is a bug where the backdrop is not linked to the
theme, when this is fixed, what backdrop do we show when a screen
disables the theme? (plugins, screens which dont fit in the user area,
etc)

2 possible solutions:
1) the setting always overrides the sbs backdrop, like the rest of the
settings here (ui viewport, colours), *always* show the backdrop (even
when themes are disabled)
2) we load both (EXPENSIVE, ~93KB each on the e200), when the theme is
enabled show the sbs backdrop, when its disabled show the setting one.

I like option 1 much better because its closer to svn and makes sense,
but im open to suggestions.

Jonathan