Subject: Re: Questions about the Rockbox Simulator USB insertion simulation

Re: Questions about the Rockbox Simulator USB insertion simulation

From: Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker_at_bennee.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 11:06:10 +0000

On 6 February 2010 13:11, pouly amaury <amaury.pouly_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm been working on a usb driver...
<snip>
> If you want to test, you can look at my patch (FS#10916). Even if you don't
> have the linux driver, perhaps the usb insertion chain is similar enough to
> a real device to make your autobookmarking thing work. But there's no
> warranty.

Well it's closer as it sends the messages to all threads. However it
looks like the assumption that all threads are paying attention is
wrong:

[ipodsim.build] >./rockboxui
usb_init
Skin buffer usage: 371744/630784
Resume index 0 offset 0
USB inserted. Waiting for ack from 7 threads...
usb: got ack, 6 to go...

I'll see if I can figure out why.

> In a more general way, I don't recommend you to experiment with simulator
> and usb because rockbox what not designed to have usb under simulator. You
> should experiment with a real device.

I fully intend to once I've got something working. I'm generally
hesitant to break the firmware on my iPod as it is my only portable
audio device so I like to keep it stablish ;-)

Plus it allows me to experiment with other builds.

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
http://www.half-llama.co.uk