Subject: WPS buttons show when touching the touchscreen (like Cowon D2 OF)

WPS buttons show when touching the touchscreen (like Cowon D2 OF)

From: Jens Theeß <jens_at_theess.de>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:56:43 +0100

(As recommended by AlexP, I repost this mail here. Original was on the
feature ideas forum.)

Hi guys,

I recently switched to rockbox as the default firmware on my D2. So now
it's time for scratching itches... I'm new to rockbox development, but
I've been a professional software developer for ten years.

I'd like to implement a WPS similar to the original firmware of the D2:

    * By default, the WPS shows only song infos, no touch buttons.
    * When pressing the touchscreen (on the press, not release), touch
      buttons for play/pause, skip, volume etc. are shown (with a timeout).
    * Pressing and releasing the touchscreen again will activate the
      touch button at that position.
    * After pressing a button, or the timeout elapses, the button screen
      disappears.

My first attempt at implementing this was using %Tl to show a viewport
whenever the touchscreen was pressed anywhere. Unfortunately, if I
touched at a position where a touch button is shown, this button was
immediately activated.

I then hacked the source to have %Tl turn to true on the touch release,
not press. This way, I have to touch once to show the viewport
containing the buttons, and once again to activate a touch button, as
intended. This would be ok for me, even though the original firmware
shows the buttons on the first touchscreen press, not release.

I'll clean up my patch and instead of changing the behaviour of %Tl, I
could introduce a new variable (e.g. %Tk) which turns true on the
touchscreen release. Would a patch like this be accepted to the main
trunk? Or do you have a better idea of implementing the wanted behaviour?

Greetings,
punkt