Subject: Re: r24917: again no manual update

Re: r24917: again no manual update

From: Karl Kurbjun <kkurbjun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:11:42 -0700

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Alex Parker wrote:
>

>> 3) TeX is a PITA to work in and not everyone has the required tools
>>

>> Adding to a list is not difficult. At the very least could contributors
>> who can't be bothered to update the manual please create a list of things
>> such as tags they add so that others can update it.
>>

> This could be solved rather easily by saying "if you can't figure out how
> to update the manual, post a basic text file to Flyspray containing a
> description of the tags added and what they do."
>
> If the problem is making people go back through the history of the wiki
> page to figure out what has changed and what isn't in the manual. As long as
> there's a tracker entry describing _every_ new tag (and/or new feature) that
> isn't
> in the manual yet, then it's a matter of going through a list and closing
> tasks, rather than trying to figure things out by comparison.

I like Paul's suggestion. I do not think that forcing everyone to learn TEX
is a productive use of time, but I do feel that the manual should be
complete. Posting an entry in the tracker makes it easy to follow and can
be added by people who know the manual and know TEX. As long as the proper
category is set it should be quick and easy to find new manual entries that
need to be included.

-Karl