Subject: Re: r24917: again no manual update

Re: r24917: again no manual update

From: Jonas Häggqvist <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:12:40 +0100

On 26-02-2010 08:46, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> On 25 February 2010 23:20, Al Le<Al.Le_at_gmx.de> wrote:
>> r24917 introduced new WPS tags. But again: where is the manual patch?
>
> WPS tags should NOT be in the manual.

I respectfully disagree.

> 1) its too bloodu long which scares people away from reading it (yes
> its in an appendix but still, seeing 100+ pages is enough to turn
> people off)

The manual ought to be the repository of all knowledge and wisdom about
Rockbox. More peripheral things such as which programs you can use to do
various things belong on the wiki. If this makes the manual longer, so be it.

> 2) its updated too frequently

This is a *good* thing! We want the manual to be as up to date as possible.

> 3) TeX is a PITA to work in and not everyone has the required tools

The amount of TeX required to add a new feature to the manual is extremely
minimal - if you have trouble with something specific, there are experts
on IRC (same goes for wiki syntax...). The required tools are all free
software and available on all or at least nearly all platforms we build on
(don't know if you can build the manual on OS X?).

> 4) who is this we that agreed?

I'm going to guess "People on IRC/mailing list at some point in time" -
same as most other decisions.

> 5) (something about not forcing the manual contributers to learn c)

Huh? That's exactly why the manual should be updated at the same time as a
feature is added - *not* after the fact by the manual contributors who
would then have to trawl through the code.

--
Jonas Häggqvist
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk