Subject: Re: r24917: again no manual update

Re: r24917: again no manual update

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:43:52 +0100

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:46 AM, Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) its updated too frequently

the manual is built once per day, so what's the point? People who want
something changing slower are likely to use releases anyway, and those
don't change at all. People who want to use bleeding edge features
need to look them up somewhere either.

> 3) TeX is a PITA to work in and not everyone has the required tools

If it's *just* adding new wps tags to a table there shouldn't be a
problem at all. Hey, we're talking about people who managed to figure
how to program C, so we should really expect them being able to extend
something in a markup language that just needs to be extended. The
real LaTeX work (that *can* cause headaches of all sort) has already
been done, and all of this (or at least almost all) should be in the
preamble which sets up styles, defines the macros we use for
convenience and simplification, and so on. You really don't need to
learn LaTeX to be able extending the wps table or add a new section.
Furthermore, most people work on Linux. All Linux distributions ship
LaTeX. And you can always ask for help on IRC -- communication *is* an
important part.

> 5) (something about not forcing the manual contributers to learn c)

(something about just claiming LaTeX being a PITA is lazy; there are a
lot of other tools that are a real PITA to work with -- LaTeX is in
fact pretty easy as long as you don't need to deal with changing /
adjusting LaTeX' behaviour like done in the preamble.)

 - Dominik