Subject: Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 21:34:46 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Thomas Martitz wrote:

> it could mean that we might be able to not brew our own toolchain anymore,
> but instead let people be able to use the one their distro provides soon.

We don't "brew our own" and we never did. We just use fixed version combos,
and we patch a few problems with them.

I suggest that if or when we change version, we change to another fixed combo
so that we know that it is a working set.

Also, I very much doubt that people will be able to "use the one their distro
provides" with Rockbox very widely as in the past that has just lead to a lot
of bad faces and broken binaries. Mostly that is because our build system and
view of what a compiler set does is usually not the same as the view the
distro-packagers have that put together cross-compilers.

Of course we can also alter our build setup etc to better adjust to such
compiler sets.

> Are there any opinions?

I'm rather indifferent. To me it seems there's no particularly strong reason
to switch, so thus it is easier not to switch. But this is not a strong
sentiment.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se