Subject: Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:00:54 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Thomas Martitz wrote:

>> Of course we can also alter our build setup etc to better adjust to such
>> compiler sets.
>
> I can't follow your last sentence.

Distros will package arm cross-compilers that A) use different version combos
than those we like B) bundle a libc (that we don't).

If anyone truly thinks that a good argument to switch compiler versions is to
allow people to use their distro's cross-compiler, then we need to make sure
that the problems with both A and B above are minimized, as otherwise nobody
will actually be able to use their distro's version anyway.

However, I think the amount of Rockbox devs that believe building and using
your own set with rockboxdev.sh is a heavy burden is rather small and
bordering to insignificant.

>> I'm rather indifferent. To me it seems there's no particularly strong
>> reason to switch, so thus it is easier not to switch. But this is not a
>> strong sentiment.
>
> Well, I think the huge binsize win on most of our ARM targets is a good
> reason.

Noticable binsize gain on targets that don't really need it sprinkled with
some performance loss. Yeah, I think that qualifies as "no strong reason".

--
  / daniel.haxx.se