Subject: Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

From: Nils <>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 01:50:40 +0100

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Thomas Martitz
<> wrote:
> The new toolchain is pretty close now in terms of codecs. The major codecs
> are the same, or even faster. The only exception is FLAC, which is a good
> deal slower. BUT I think flac is fast enough anyway, so we shouldn't worry
> about it too much.

The flac codec is built with the core optimization level (-O1 on arm).
Earlier testing done on the gigabeast with gcc 4.4.2
showed that compiling the flac codec with -O2 with 4.4.2
was the fastest combination of compiler and optimization level.

So assuming that is true on other arms, we need just a small tweak to
get a flac that's even faster than what we currently have.