Subject: Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

From: Nils <deathtoallhumans_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 02:39:52 +0100

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
> Am 09.03.2010 01:50, schrieb Nils:
>>
>> The flac codec is built with the core optimization level (-O1 on arm).
>> Earlier testing done on the gigabeast with gcc 4.4.2
>> showed that compiling the flac codec with -O2 with 4.4.2
>> was the fastest combination of compiler and optimization level.
>>
>> So assuming that is true on other arms, we need just a small tweak to
>> get a flac that's even faster than what we currently have.
>>
>> Nils
>>

> Ah indeed, I remember you and Unhelpful played around. Do you happen to have
> a link to the related irc logs? I remember quite a huge table which showed
> all sorts of combinations of -O levels and compilers.

I have the table of the gigabeast results, i don't remember when the
experimentation was done but i'd guess early to mid december. (The
eabi option was added to configure on nov 19 (by you))

It shows that the only real slowdown was wma, ac3, ape normal and to a
lesser extent mpc.
All those codecs have changed significantly since then so the testing
should probably be redone.

Nils