Subject: Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

Re: Proposal to update GCC for ARM

From: Jens Arnold <jens_at_jens-arnold.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:24:58 +0100

On 08.03.2010, Thomas Martitz wrote:

> In regards to binsize/ram usage, the new version gives us a
> mostly huge win. Around least ~64k on every PP, almost 60k
> on ipodnano2g, 50k on mr5000. On targets that already have
> no long calls (sansa ams, gigabeatfx), binsize is slightly
> increased (400-500 bytes) but ram usage is decreased more
> (600-800 bytes). The beast wins 1k bin and 10k ram.

(snip)

> Are there any opinions?

I think that's the main point of the new toolchain - not that it
is a new version, but that we're going EABI which will solve
that long call mess once and for all. This will also allow us
to remove the STATICIRAM hack.

I am definitely for that switch, but I think the crash bugs
which result from that switch (due to EABI defaulting to short
enums and bools) should be resolved first. We could go for the
cheap solution and use long enums... opinions?

Regards, Jens