Subject: Re: FS#11099 - Rewind before resume

Re: FS#11099 - Rewind before resume

From: Magnus Holmgren <magnushol_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:05:51 +0200

I'll try to comment on all things in one go:

Pause on headphone is a bit different (I wasn't aware of the
similarities, because I don't have any target with headphone detection).
What happens on unplug is this: a short rewind, then playback is paused.

"Rewind before resume" happens when you resume after a stop (and the
rewind amount is applied when the resume is done); it does nothing on a
pause or an "unpause". Both behaviour and implementation is different
enough that it would be difficult to merge the two, I'd say.

The point of this feature is not to listen to a passage over and over
again. As mentioned, A-B repeat or skip length are better for that. No,
the main usecase is when listening to speech material (podcasts, books
and the like). Then it is useful to seek back a bit when resuming, in
order to remember what was being said just before the stop (I always did
that manually before). I don't need it when listening to music, but a
short rewind in that case doesn't hurt either.

Maybe the setting name should be changed to make it clearer that it is
only relevant when resuming playback after a stop...

--
   Magnus