Subject: Re: Bookmark mod

Re: Bookmark mod

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 23:40:39 +0200

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
> Pitch is different, as it's (AFAIK) intentionally not a setting so it resets
> to 100% on reboot, since ages. It's simply non-persistent. So resetting to
> 100% if the bookmark info doesn't contain pitch information is what we
> probably want.

I have to disagree here. The scenario I described did not involve a
reboot at all. Why should loading a bookmark without pitch value
setting reset it to 100%?

But I can also think of a transition scenario: Imagine that I listen
to a podcast. I'm changing the pitch to, say 120%. After that I'm
earlier but haven't finished yet. I've changed the pitch before
because I liked it better that way. Now why should loading the
bookmark affect the selected pitch? I would expect the loaded bookmark
to keep it (as I wasn't able saving my preferred pitch value to that
podcast before, simply because I saved that bookmark before the pitch
saving feature was introduced).

> Isn't this a question about backwards-compability anyway? I assumed newly
> created bookmarks get a specific pitch value.

Yes, as far as I understand. Why should backward compatibility behave
differently than current behaviour is? If I load a bookmark neither
pitch nor speed are affected, as neither of them is saved in the
bookmark. I don't see any reason why this should change. Unless, of
course, these values are stored in the bookmark.

 - Dominik