Subject: FS#11232: software mixer

FS#11232: software mixer

From: Jeff Goode <jeffg7_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:44:04 -0400

I posted a new task at FS#11232 to start the conversation on a new
feature. I plan to supplement the existing pcmbuf code to mix in voice
on the fly rather than in place. This will allow continued voice
playback regardless of pcm playback status. It can also be easily
adapted to allow game audio during playback, if that's a direction we
want to go.

This is a first attempt, and rather restricted in scope. A true mixer
wouldn't specify how its streams are mixed in hard code, rather it would
be programmable. Or would allow as many streams as you could reasonably
support, rather than just two. Perhaps that ought to be built in from
the start rather than waiting for later inclusion.

I'd like to document any thoughts here and in the FlySpray comments.

Thanks!
Jeff