Subject: Re: Proposal for Bounty to get Linux & Rockbox ported to the iPod Nano 4G and 5G

Re: Proposal for Bounty to get Linux & Rockbox ported to the iPod Nano 4G and 5G

From: Alex Parker <parker.alex.e_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 00:38:27 +0200

Whilst not wanting to rain on your parade, let me just state my personal
view.

I plain don't like bounties. They ignore all the work that has been
already done, they can lead to bad blood, are hard to administer, and
unless the money is huge are useless in terms of getting someone with
the required skills to work on it if they didn't already want to. It is
also incredibly hard to accurately gauge how much work is needed,
especially for things like reverse engineering. What if (for example)
it is found that some chips are the same as those in other devices that
already have Rockbox drivers? Then someone gets all the cash for
someone else's work.

Still, other may disagree :)

Alex