Subject: Re: Proposal for Bounty to get Linux & Rockbox ported to the iPod Nano 4G and 5G

Re: Proposal for Bounty to get Linux & Rockbox ported to the iPod Nano 4G and 5G

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 19:23:25 -0400

On 04/30/2010 07:12 PM, Jared Albers wrote:
> Anyhow, it appears this bounty thing is not going to work. Please forget I
> mentioned it.

It could work (though I know there are many who strongly feel bounties
are a no-go). The idea of supporting a project financially is an
attractive one, the issue is that there are lots of obstacles to
overcome if you want to be fair and effective in targeted giving (if
such IS possible.)

If it is something you are seriously interested in I think a deeper
understanding on your part of what these obstacles are, and how the
breadth of the development community feels are important items on your
agenda.

Without such an understanding an unsolicited proposal is sure to attract
more criticism than praise, as it was created in a vacuum. Get involved
with the respective communities, lurk, ask questions, and learn exactly
what is needed and I think you will be in a better position to propose
an incentive which actually meets needs. (IF such a thing is possible.)

--Soap