Subject: Re: Proposal for Bounty to get Linux & Rockbox ported to the iPod Nano 4G and 5G

Re: Proposal for Bounty to get Linux & Rockbox ported to the iPod Nano 4G and 5G

From: Alex Parker <parker.alex.e_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 09:37:48 +0200

On 01/05/10 04:01, Thomas Martitz wrote:

>> Still, other may disagree :)
>>
>> Alex
>
> Right, I disagree. None of the points you mentioned particularly speaks
> against bounties. I especially find the idea stupid to disallow payments
> to work on our project just because it ignores the lot of work that
> already has been done.

There is no need to be insulting. At no point did I call anything
"stupid". I think your views are "stupid". Is that better? If you
can't have a discussion without being abusive then don't at all.

> Our license permits that without any payment at
> all, so why should paid work not work with that idea? The other points
> don't speak against paying an individual developer no matter how you
> look at it (IMO).

Of course there is nothing in the licence to not pay people, and of
course other people get paid for open source. I dislike bounties in
general, and especially for Rockbox, for the very reasons I gave above.
  You haven't actually said why you disagree with the reasons I gave,
other than one of them especially is "stupid" (implying the others are too).

> We shouldn't discourage the idea of bounties IMO. If offering a bounty
> makes people bring our project forward, then let it be. That's what we
> all are aiming for afterall. It's entirely up to anyone who'd like to
> dontate or even pay money. Either we wants to see the entire project
> leaping forward, then he makes a donating. If he wants to see a specific
> area being worked on, then he goes the bounty route. I find both ways
> very reasonable.

As you said above, "I would appreciate if such statements wouldn't be
made on behalf of a project" (even though he wasn't making statements on
behalf of the project). I dislike bounties. I'm clearly not alone.
Now of course I wouldn't dream of trying to block them if people were to
make a private arrangement (as that is nothing to do with me), however I
don't think the project should encourage them either. If individuals
want to offer bounties and other individuals want to take them up on it,
then that is fine between them.

Alex