Subject: Re: Proposal for Bounty to get Linux & Rockbox ported to the iPod Nano 4G and 5G

Re: Proposal for Bounty to get Linux & Rockbox ported to the iPod Nano 4G and 5G

From: Gareth Schakel <gareth7yo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 01:16:02 -0400

On 5/1/2010 7:50 AM, Thomas Martitz wrote:

>>> Right, I disagree. None of the points you mentioned particularly speaks
>>> against bounties. I especially find the idea stupid to disallow
>>> payments
>>> to work on our project just because it ignores the lot of work that
>>> already has been done.
>>
>> There is no need to be insulting. At no point did I call anything
>> "stupid". I think your views are "stupid". Is that better? If you
>> can't have a discussion without being abusive then don't at all.
>

> Sorry, I didn't want to sound insulting. It wasn't my intention.
> Re-reading my post again shows it was, so I apologize.
>>

>>> We shouldn't discourage the idea of bounties IMO. If offering a bounty
>>> makes people bring our project forward, then let it be. That's what we
>>> all are aiming for afterall. It's entirely up to anyone who'd like to
>>> dontate or even pay money. Either we wants to see the entire project
>>> leaping forward, then he makes a donating. If he wants to see a
>>> specific
>>> area being worked on, then he goes the bounty route. I find both ways
>>> very reasonable.
>>
>> As you said above, "I would appreciate if such statements wouldn't be
>> made on behalf of a project" (even though he wasn't making statements
>> on behalf of the project). I dislike bounties. I'm clearly not
>> alone. Now of course I wouldn't dream of trying to block them if
>> people were to make a private arrangement (as that is nothing to do
>> with me), however I don't think the project should encourage them
>> either. If individuals want to offer bounties and other individuals
>> want to take them up on it, then that is fine between them.
>
> I was probably exaggerating here, I apologize once more. It just
> looked like the topic starter felt discouraged by Pauls answers alone
> which I found sad. And Jared apparently already dropped that idea
> before anyone else could post his opinion.
>
> Best regards.

     Instead of debating rather or not to directly offer bounties.. lets
put a header up somewhere that simply suggests "If You would like to see
a feature added to Rockbox but lack the expertise yourself, Post a
bounty in the forums!" without really giving way too saing "the Rockbox
project will pay for features" (which.. in essence.. is a bounty).
Ionno.. just my two cents (which took all 4 braincells too find).

     Regards
       Gareth Schakel