Subject: Re: Proposal for Bounty to get Linux & Rockbox ported to the iPod Nano 4G and 5G

Re: Proposal for Bounty to get Linux & Rockbox ported to the iPod Nano 4G and 5G

From: Andrew Beveridge <rockbox-devml_at_andrewbeveridge.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 18:53:15 +0000

I hope Jared hasn't been scared off by all this discussion generated - it
is my personal opinion that the way he is hoping to do this is not likely
to be effective or possible to achieve.
Rather, if he genuinely wants to advance development on a specific port, I
believe the best way to do it is to spend a little time getting to know
how
the project works and which developer(s) are most likely to be interested,
then approaching one or two individuals and offering to effectively employ
them or perhaps, "incentivise" them to develop the port, provided they
already have the required technical knowledge (or are prepared to learn).
This avoids stepping on any toes, and if a new port is developed to a
stage where it is usable and dare I say, complete(?), it benefits the rest
of the rockbox community as well (if not better) than donating to the
project directly or trying to offer a "bounty" to anybody who works on it.
It is not uncommon for development of open source software to be paid for,
and effectively benefits everybody in the open source community as the
code
written can be used/modified by anybody who decides to take an interest in
the project.

Just my two cents ;)
-Andrew