Subject: Re: Probable changes coming to the skin engine (skin format)

Re: Probable changes coming to the skin engine (skin format)

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_student.htw-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 08:41:53 +0200

On 11.05.2010 05:09, Jonathan Gordon wrote:
> Quick heads up to the changes which are probably coming to the skin
> format to make everything easier.
>
> 1) tags with parameter lists will change to use '(' and ')' to mark
> the ends of the list. e.g %V(label|x|y|width|height|font|fg|bg)
> 2) tags will no longer be able to add info to the end (E.g %Xda will
> be changed to %Xd(a), %D1 to %D(1) )

Could we also change the | character to , or ;?

Maybe this change could also give us some sort of variadic parameters.
For instance I would like to see %Xd(a,b) which replaces %Xda%Xdb. Maybe
a different delimiter for normal and "repeater" params would improve
readability.

> This will break all existing skins so I'm planning on making a script
> to convert, but while this is happening, does anyone have any changes
> they want made which cant be done without breaking compatibility? (e.g
> change the tag letters or something?)

Albumart display tag (from %C to possibly %Cd). Currently a dirty hack
is needed to distinguish %?C and %C. Maybe we could also change the load
tag to be the conditional(i.e. %?Cl) which makes more sense to me.

Best regards.