Subject: Re: alle: r26008 - trunk/fonts

Re: alle: r26008 - trunk/fonts

From: Al Le <al.le_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 12:22:55 +0200

On 14.05.2010 12:10, Alex Parker wrote:
> I'm not sure I think this is a good idea - the font will still appear in
> browse fonts, yet won't even be able to render the menus in latin
> characters. This sounds like a recipe for confusion. Given the way
> font loading works, having no letters won't save any RAM anyway.

I agree, it may lead to confusion. I didn't include any letters in the
font not to save RAM but because I think nobody would use such a big
font as the UI font. Because of this, I also set ascent and descent to
zero -- so that the digits can be positioned very exactly. Out of this
reason it would be hard to add normal letters to the font since they
usually have some ascents/descents.

> I agree that large numerical fonts make sense for some stuff - I have
> made 40 and 50 point ones myself for big screen FM targets

Where do you keep them?

> Thoughts?

Maybe have a folder with special purpose fonts? Or add glyphs from some
other font to this one, e.g. 19-Nimbus?

But I (or anybody else) can revert the commit if you think the font
makes more harm than good as it's now.