Subject: Re: assistance with logging output of make command to a file.

Re: assistance with logging output of make command to a file.

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 19:41:55 +0100

> On 26 May 2010 13:08, alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
>> for your information, I am running my linux as a guest OS inside a
>> virtual
>> machine, my rockbox source is located on the host OS, which is windows
>> xp.
>>
>> I am using smbfs to mount the folder in linux, and the rockbox folder has
>> been given full permissions along with all sub folders using the chmod
>> 777
>> command.
>>
>> As I say, googling suggests that its a problem with the way gcc reacts to
>> compiling in folders that are shared with cifs or smbfs, and further
>> reading
>> suggests if I can get the nounix command into my /etc/fstab file that the
>> problem should go away, but fstab isn't liking it at the moment.
>>

> Wouldn't it therefore be easier to use svn from within the VM if your
> chosen combination is a known issue? It sounds like you're making
> things harder than they need to be.

I would prefer to keep the source outside the vm, as it would make
distributing the vm easier, and also once rockbox is built, it is easier to
get the compiled binary on to the player if I can just connect the player
up, and then go into my build folder on the host OS to get the zip file to
extract to the player.

But just to see if I could compile successfully I did an svn checkout
directly into the vm, and the build seemed to be going well, it got a lot
further than when I was trying to get it to compile in the shared folder,

but eventually I got a different error, and this is a clean unmodified
checkout.

make: *** No rule to make target
`/rockbox/build/apps/bitmaps/native/rockbox/buildlogo.160x53x2.o', needed by
`/rockbox/build/rockbox.elf'. Stop.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5148 (20100526) __________

http://www.eset.com