Subject: Re: Creating a Bash script to generate en.voice

Re: Creating a Bash script to generate en.voice

From: Jonas Häggqvist <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 08:36:00 +0200

On 28-05-2010 05:41, Storm Dragon wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working on a set of scripts for Linux to handle voice generation
> for Rockbox. I have a script that can create .talk files for directories
> and files. the only thing that is missing is a file to create speech for
> the menus etc. I downloaded the RB source and read through the perl
> scripts, but I don't have much experience with perl and got lost rather
> quickly.
> The reason I am trying to get all of this functionality in to bash
> scripts is because the Rockbox utility does not work with Orca, the
> screen reader for Linux. Also, it is rather nice to have the ability to
> generate .talk files in the right click menu.

I suggest looking at voice.pl, which is integrated into the build system
and already supports several TTS systems. If you can use orca from the
shell, it shouldn't be a problem to add it to voice.pl.

See http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/VoiceBuilding#Using_Linux_or_Cygwin for
how to use it.

--
Jonas Häggqvist