Subject: Re: Creating a Bash script to generate en.voice

Re: Creating a Bash script to generate en.voice

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 20:36:53 +0200

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Scott Berry <scottbb1973_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you told the Rockbox guys about the fact that the utility does not work with Orca?  I am on both the Rockbox-dev and Rockbox regular lists and I can also put a flyspray bug up there and try to make it a high priority.

Please don't do this. I repeat: please don't do this. It will only
annoy people (including me).

First, this is known since long. There is already a task about
accessibility issues with Rockbox Utility. We don't need another one.
Feel free to comment on that, it's at
http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/10205

Second, just making a task high priority doesn't change anything.
There's not a company behind Rockbox were some project lead could
assign people to work on high priority issues first, the project is
run completely by volunteers. They do work what they feel it's worth
(and important) to work on. If the issue is of high priority for you
then start working on it, but don't tell volunteers what's imporant or
not. They might have a completely different perception than you (plus,
there are loads of other users around).

Third, Qt does support AT-SPI. This is clearly described in the
documentation, see http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/accessible.html . The
problem with accessibility on Linux is that Qt chose to use D-Bus for
communicating with the screenreader, while Gtk applications use CORBA
(which is also a reason why Gnome still has to carry ORBit around,
which is deprecated since at least months). So just stating that Qt
has to start supporting AT-SPI is simply wrong. In fact, when I looked
at the issue on Linux (a year ago or so) it looked pretty much that
everything else is about to switch to D-Bus eventually. See
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/accessibility/d-bus
for details. Obviously this switch hasn't been done, and I gave up on
following its development since then.

Fourth, the TTS support in Rockbox Utility is separated into its own
classes that don't need any GUI at all. It shouldn't be hard to write
a simple console application that uses those classes. Such an
application would need to use Qt, but as a Qt console application runs
in your console there shouldn't be any problem with screenreaders
(unless your terminal program doesn't work with the screenreader of
course).

And finally, please follow our netiquette and don't top-post on this
mailing list. Thanks.

 - Dominik