Subject: Plan for skin changeover?

Plan for skin changeover?

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 21:03:34 +1000

Hey all.

I want to get a plan down for the skin format changeover which will
happen Very Soon (either before or during DevCon...).

Basically what needs to happen is one small diff get committed to make
the existing parser work with the new format (ready to go, needs more
testers though...). The problem is as soon as that happens the entire
theme site becomes useless for the current build (as do all the
shipped wps's.)

If we get an OK from scorche (or rasher? who else has the required
access?) I want to copy the current theme site and disable updates.
The reason to do this is because there is a script in
utils/skinupdater which (should) extract a given zip file, run the
update program over it and zip it back up so the entire theme site can
get updated in one hit. But if that happens no themes will work for
3.6... so for a while it would great if we hosted 2 copies of the
theme site....

So what we need is:
1) people test the attached diff
2*) clone the theme site
3*) have someone run utils/skinupdater/updatetheme.pl on all the zips
in the themesite
4) commit the attached diff and run the update on all the .wps files
in wps/ (that should be pretty easy)
5) fix bugs (what bugs? not in my code there arnt any! :D )

2 and 3 need someone with shell access to the theme site which I
assume is only scorche which is why devcon is probably the earliest
time this could happen.

I'm not expecting much to happen on 1 going by previous attempts at
getting testers... but I've done basic testing on it so should be
fine.

Any questions? Issues?

I really want to get this in at the latest on the weekend.

Jonathan